Thursday, July 12, 2007

Mark Teixeira vs. Michael Young

Teixiera:
"You never hear teams that win World Series with Scott Boras clients on their rosters complain," Teixeira said. "When I was drafted out of Georgia Tech, Scott Boras told Tom Hicks that I was going to be a big-time hitter for his team. I think that worked out pretty well.

"When it comes to me, I think the Rangers should be thanking Scott Boras every day. I was about five hours from not signing and going back to school."
Young: (subscription required)
Michael Young didn't get into the All-Star Game and still went into Jim Leyland's office to thank him for being selected and being there. "I'm sorry I didn't get you in," said Leyland. "Stop it," said Young. "I'm honored to have been here."

You can't win in professional sports without talent, and, unfortunately, the world's best athletes are not always the world's best human beings. I don't mean to pile on Mark Teixiera...there are certainly worse things in this world than a little arrogance. Still, though, Michael Young is a refreshing reminder that talent and class can, in fact, coexist in the same person.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

mmm.....It's like Goofus and Galant all over again.