Monday, April 28, 2008

Reverend Wright

Update 4/30/08: I still like this speech, and there really isn't anything horribly offensive in it. There are a few things in there that raised my eyebrows, such as the assertion that black children all learn differently than whites do, but, on the whole, I thought it was an interesting and entertaining speech. However, several of his comments the day after this speech in Washington were obviously ridiculous. I still think that most commentators that are blasting Rev. Wright now probably were only exposed to sound bytes of the worst parts of his comments in Washington. Really, the vast, vast majority of what he says is good. What's bad is his timing and the 5-10% of what he says that is just bat sh*t crazy. I still recommend watching this speech. There is much more nuance to this issue than has been portrayed.


I saw a clip of Rev. Wright's speech to the NAACP on CNN.com earlier, and I went to track down the whole speech. After watching CNN's clip, they clearly tried to take the most incendiary segments to prop up their Rev. Wright story against Obama. But, listen to the speech -- the whole speech -- for yourself. I thought it was a hell of a good speech. (it's about 45 minutes long -- oh, and the Fox News commentator's reaction to the introduction is priceless)


Part 1:


Part 2:


Part 3:


Part 4:

No comments: