Wednesday, January 9, 2008

It's Comcastic!

Clearly, Comcast must read my blog.

I certainly can't think of any other explanation for this.

If DOCSIS 3.0 can get up and running quickly, maybe the sky really isn't falling. It's nice to know that American companies are evidently concerned the internets are 1/20 as fast here as they are in Japan. I figured FiOS would spur a response from the friendly, neighborhood cable companies, but it seems they feel a threat not only from 15mbps fibre, but from Europeans who can stream four simultaneous HD movies for $10/month.

Tomorrow, I will be moving to an apartment where FiOS is available. I hope that by this time next year, the cable companies will make me think about switching. The only way this thing is going to get fixed is if there is an arms race between TelCo and cable.

On a side note that makes me laugh, one company that's just got to be hating this is Sony. They finally win a format war, only to have their victory spoiled within days by a technology that will allow people to download an entire HD movie in 4 minutes. Tee heehee. Two years from now, people will be chunking their Blu ray players into the closet on top of the old Betamax. And, of all companies not to see this coming... a company from Japan! Nice going, guys.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

poor Sony. I have no sympathy.