Thursday, January 17, 2008

NFL Predictions

Well...as evidenced by my picks for last week, my ability to pick NFL playoff games is wholly infallible.

Moving on...

I really want San Diego to win this game against New England. Assuming Tomlinson is healthy, there should be some room for him to run. But I just can't see Philip Rivers surviving the Bill Belichick experience. It reminds me of something my Dad said during Dave Campo's run as Cowboys head coach. He said that he tried to imagine the Cowboys in the Super Bowl with Dave Campo standing on the sidelines, in charge. Kind of funny, right? There is no way that Dave Campo was ever going to take a team to the Super Bowl. (unless, of course, he was handed the reigns to the 1995 Cowboys... I maintain that either of my cats could have coached that team to a Super Bowl win)

Likewise, I can't imagine Philip Rivers going an entire game against the Patriots without throwing at least a couple debilitating interceptions. The Chargers won't be able to overcome more than a few minor mistakes to beat the Patriots.

That being said, I'm sure as hell rooting for them. Go Chargers!

As for the NFC Championship game, I keep hearing that the Giants are red hot right now. I'm not seeing that. The Cowboys didn't show up on Sunday. I'm not sure how much credit is due the Giants for that one. Meanwhile, Green Bay dismantled Seattle last week. The Packers aren't as good as the pre-December Cowboys, but they're still pretty darn good. I expect this game will demonstrate that the Giants are still the same team that lost to the Cowboys twice in the regular season.

My only fear is that Osi Umenyiora or Michael Strahan will come around end and injure Favre. Opposing QBs will take a few hits against the Giants' pass rush. It's a good thing that there are two weeks off before the Super Bowl.

Predictions:
New England 35, San Diego 17
Green Bay 28, New York 13

No comments: